Beginning with a tiny Root Beer stand in California, a&w menu with prices 2020 grew into the nation’s first franchise restaurant chain. Along the way it popularized drive-in restaurants and made Root Beer Floats a nationwide – and international – treat. Even Marriott hotels traces its roots to A & W. One hundred many years of history is, well, lots of history. But here’s a good beginning.
1) A&W was founded on June 20, 1919 in Lodi, California, with the first mug of Root Beer served in a homecoming parade for World War I veterans; it absolutely was the very first U.S. chain restaurant to grow to Southeast Asia (1963).
2) A&W Restaurants is over the age of sliced bread (1919 vs. 1928).
3) A&W invented the first Bacon Cheeseburger in 1963 (introduced by Dale Murder who became president and it is now chairman from the board).
4) A&W introduced Rooty the Great Root Bear as its mascot in 1973.
5) A&W Restaurants manufactured 150,000 glass mugs for 2019, saving approximately 180 paper cups per mug.
6) A&W Restaurants has raised over $800,000 for veterans-related charities since 2014.
7) California houses by far the most A&W Restaurants with approximately 70 locations.
a. 2nd most: Wisconsin (approximately 50 locations)
b. 3rd most: Michigan (approximately 40 locations)
8) Gallons of the&W Root Beer consumed in 2018 (domestic and international): 1,109,934
9) Pounds of Cheese Curds sold in 2018 (U.S. only): 2,060,988
10) There are nearly 1,000 A&W restaurants worldwide, with approximately 600 in the U.S.
On June 20, A&W took over as the first American restaurant chain to change 100. The initial frosty mug of Root Beer was served in Lodi, California at a parade honoring World War I veterans. “A&W has a long history of supporting veterans,” said A&W CEO Kevin Bazner. “With this being our centennial year, National Root Beer Float Day is extra special.”
This is A&W’s seventh annual National Root Beer Float Day celebration as well as the third year it offers partnered with DAV. A&W and DAV aspire to raise $200,000 for that organization, which serves more than one million veterans annually. Fundraising began in late June. The $150,000 A&W raised for DAV in 2018 provided approximately $6 million in direct benefits to veterans.
“Our partnership using a&W is growing every year, and we truly appreciate its support for our ill and injured veterans,” said Marc Burgess, DAV National Adjutant and CEO. “The needs of our own American heroes are xagtcr as great today as a century ago, so we are extremely glad to again be using a&W on National Root Beer Float Day.”
Since 2013, A&W has raised a lot more than $800,000 for veterans groups during National Root Beer Float Day.
Regarding A&W – America’s first and oldest restaurant chain, a&w hours of operation still makes Root Beer fresh in each restaurant from real cane sugar, water as well as a proprietary blend of herbs, bark, spices and berries that are served in a frosty mug along with burgers, fries, chicken tenders and other All American Food® favorites. There are nearly one thousand locations worldwide.